Monday, August 31, 2009

Gilligan's Island - the almost 4th season



I make no apologies for being a fan of Gilligan's Island. For me it's classic comedy infused with elements of fantasy and science-fiction played by just the right cast. Critics may have called it inane but to that I respond, "If you're so smart, how come you're a television critic?" Gilligan's Island ran for three seasons on CBS from 1964 to 1967. It quickly became an audience favorite finishing 18th and 22nd in the Nielsens during its first two seasons. Ratings for Gilligan's Island dipped slightly during its third year likely due to schedule changes but still won its time slot. Based on this success the show was picked up for a 4th season.

Production began on scripts and castings were made in anticipation for another year of Gilligan. TV Guide announced that the new season would begin with a one-hour special. Some stars of the show bought homes on the promise of the show's renewal. And then tragically at the very last minute Gilligan's Island was cancelled. CBS brass decided to take away their time slot and replace it with Gunsmoke to save it from its own threatened cancellation.

So what was planned for the fourth season of Gilligan's Island?

According to series creator Sherwood Schwartz, the first episode would have released Tina Louise from her contract who was extremely unhappy with the show. In an episode entitled either "Another Start Is Born" or "Bye Bye Birdy" Ginger would have swam too far out into the ocean but then saved and pulled aboard an old wooden lifeboat the Titanic Jr. Later the other castaways are listening to their radio when they hear Ginger being interviewed after her rescue. She says that the other passengers of the Minnow are alive and stranded on a desert island. Mary Ann asks, "I wonder why everyone can get to this island, but in all these years only one of us could get rescued?"

Other episodes proposed for the 4th season...

"An Eye For An Eye" Ginger is replaced by Miss Krissy and Miss Sally.

"Proportional Potions" Gilligan finds a drink which makes him miniaturized.

"No Bill For This Tab" Guest star portrayed by Tab Hunter appears.

"Ahoy Matey" Modern day pirate 'Silver Long-Johns' comes to the island played by Vito Scotti who was also the Japanese sailor and Dr. Boris Balinkoff earlier in the series.

"Eye Detect You" Gilligan thinks he's Dick Tracy and ruins rescue.

"Who's The Dodo?" Professor tracks what he thinks is the rare Dodo bird while Gilligan finds a lamp which when rubbed brings forth a genie.

"My Favorite Alien" A silly alien lands on the island.

"I Hear You" A singer (Bobby Vinton?) guest stars as Mary Ann's, Miss Sally's, and Miss Krissy's favorite singer.

"Laugh Until It Hurts" Comedian Paul Lynde guest stars to 'test' jokes on the castaways. (I think this one could have been the greatest Gilligan's Island episode of them all.)

5 comments:

  1. I lovelove Gilligan's Island, and I would have loved to see these episodes. I wonder how it would have been without Ginger? Ginger was my least favorite GI character.

    Paul Lynde on Gilligan's Island!? I agree - it would have been the best. episode. EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it would have upset the dynamic of the show. Ginger wasn't even in the original pilot. I think the show would have rolled along fine.

    Paul Lynde always brought the funny as a guest star. I can just picture him in a Hawaiian shirt, cracking jokes about the Skipper, the Howells or whoever all while sipping on a banana daiquiri. An instant TV classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to watch as a kid. Born in 1960, I was primed for Gilligan's Island. Interestingly enough, the sceen of the SS Minnow leaving the Harbor, was my Grandfathers Marina; King Harbor Marina in Marina Del Rey. Great memories. I am going to a themed party for my friends 50th, and it is Gilligan's Island! Well, I'm 49 and 5' 10" 300 Lbs. Who do you think I'm going as? As if it is a tough guess. So, I will bleech out my hair white, shave my beard and mustache, and wear the traditional garb; Skippers Hat, Blue Shirt and cream or Kakki pants. Looking forward to it. I'll have to make my favorite drink from the British Virgin Islands; Soggy Dollar Bar-"The Pain Killer"! Made with:
    2oz Pussers Rum
    1 oz Cream de Coco
    1 oz Orange Juice
    4 oz Pinapple Juice
    Shake over ice vigorously and strain into high ball glass-no ice.
    Garnish with a pinch of Cinnamon and Nut Meg
    Go easy...It will get you into the IRE ISLAND MOOD!!!!!!!!
    Kelly Templeton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did Sherwood Schwartz say Tina would've been let go?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did Sherwood Schwartz say Tina would've been let go?

    ReplyDelete