Monday, October 5, 2009

Monty Python and Me



On October 5th 1969 Monty Python's Flying Circus premiered on the BBC. It also happens to be my birthday. There are all kinds of strange connections between myself and England's most revered comedy troupe. It's sort of like those eerie Lincoln/Kennedy coincidences only I've never been shot in the head.

Allow me to list a few more...

1. My real first name Terry is the same as 1/3 of Monty Python.
2. My last name is just a couple of letters off from Terry Gilliam's who also happens to be the group's only American member.
3. I was born in Dallas home of the PBS station that first broadcast Monty Python in America. I remember watching it with my sister.
4. The first movie I ever went to see was Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The first videotape I ever rented was Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl.
5. Eric Idle's secretary warned him not to go to the theater. My secretary warned me not to go see "Nuns On The Run".

OK, I made that last one up but the rest are all true. So what does it mean? Is there some mysterious psychic bond between myself and Britain's bad boys of comedy? Nah. Like their TV series it's just a bunch of crazy goings on with a threadbare link connecting it all. Anyway this post wouldn't be complete without my 5 favorite Monty Python bits of all time or at least tonight.









1 comment: